John Donica is a cinematographer / director from Moldova based in Tokyo.
In 2012 he graduated from Academy of Music Theater and Fine Arts, specialty - film director and editor. Since then, he has been working as a freelance cinematographer and director on documentary and fiction films, music videos and commercials.
John is also a Virtual Production supervisor and DOP. Working with Unreal Engine 5, & Aximmetry Technologies.
His works have been selected to many international film festivals like: IDFA, Vision du Reel, Montenegro, Busan ISFF, Cronograf, DocuArtFest, East Silver, Beldocs and others.
2018 - 2019 Director of photography at documentary film "Steps on the border" directed by Alecu Deleu.
2017 - 2019 Director of photography at feature fiction film "...OGMA" directed by Mihai Tarna
2017 - Director of photography at short fiction film "REZELIENTA" directed by Mihai Tarna
2016-2017 - Director of photography at documentary film "Moldovan Miracle" directed by Stian Indrevoll. (Norway)
2014-2018 - Director of photography at feature film "RESENTMENT" directed by Natalia Shaufert.
2015 - Director of photography at short film "THE SOFA" directed by Iulia Puica
2014-2015 - Film director and DP at documentary film "Moments of silence"
In 2013-2014 worked as a set photographer at feature film "ANISOARA" directed by Ana-Felicia-Scutelnicu.
2013 - Director of photography at short fiction film "INSIGHT" directed by Mihai Bruma.
2012 - Director of photography at short fiction film "ANA" directed by Natalia Shaufert.
2012 - Director of photography at short fiction film "IOANA" directed by Iulia Puica.
2012 - Film director and DP at short documentary film "At the edge of the forest"
- Best Music Video at Tokyo Film Awards 2022 - "Metamorphosis"
- Nominated for the 2019 European Press Prize shortlist with ‘The Drums of Democracy‘
- "Moments of silence" - Best directing at DocuArtFest, Romania 2017.
- Winner at International Documentary Film Festival Moldova 2013 "Cronograf" with film "At the edge of the forest"
- Best Director at the MIFEC Film festival in Porto.
- 1st place at the photography contest "Beyond words" organized by the "Punkt" magazine 2009. - 2nd place at the photography contest "The historic center of Chisinau in the vision of young amateur photography" 2011
- Winner in the category "Fine Art Nude" at 1x Photo Awards 2011
- 1st place at LED photo contest, organized by LED (Liechtenstein Development Service) in Moldova 2012